No menu assigned
Press enter to begin your search
Butler University hired me in School Year 2000 to teach one student who wanted to fulfill his degree requirements with a non-classical piano study. Andrew Weir (Bockman’s Euphio) was his name and since then I’ve been fortunate to teach Applied Jazz Piano to 6-8 students every semester since. I continue to teach the same course at the Jordan College of the Arts at Butler University. It’s been a joy to introduce jazz to some of the students, to help an aspiring jazz student develop his skills and sensibilities in jazz piano. And in some cases, to see them establish their own musical careers after college (including proud father of 2, Andrew Weir!)
I taught applied Jazz Piano at the IUPUI School of Infomatics from 2001-2004 and again from 2015-2017
From 2000-2004 I was also part of the DePauw University faculty, again teaching Applied Jazz Piano to 5 or 6 students per semester.
And in a life that seems forever ago, I taught middle School Band and General Music from 1976-1981. Some call me a saint for surviving that, but I truly enjoyed introducing music to those young people, some of whom still keep in touch.
• Private instructor in percussion (1974-1982)
• Private instructor in jazz piano: HS through adults (1994-Present)
• Martinsville W. Middle School: 6th-8th band & General Music (1976-1981)
• Blind School/Park Tudor Jazz Combo Co-director (2000-2001)
• Clinician for Indianapolis Jazz Foundation
• Clinician for Buselli-Wallarab Jazz Orchestra
• Clinician for Lawrence Central High School
• Clinician for University of Indianapolis
• DePauw University Adjunct faculty – Jazz Piano (2001-2005)
• IU School of Music at Indianapolis – Jazz Piano; Jazz History (2003-2006)
• Butler University Adjunct faculty – Contemporary Piano (2000-Present)
© 2021 Gary Walters | Piano.